Frequently asked questions

Do you have a specific question about a particular aspect of the Company? This page might provide the answer.

If your question is not answered on this page, please contact us| and we will be only too happy to help.

Select a category

About Us

  • General

    • What is Land Securities' vision?

      Land Securities is shaping the future for good.

      We make understanding our customers’ needs our top priority, so we provide the space they need to succeed. And we also look beyond our buildings, working to ensure our activities meet the expectations of everyone from investors to local communities and government.

    • What does Land Securities do?

      Land Securities is the largest commercial property company in the UK and a member of the FTSE100.  Founded in 1944, we became a Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) in 2007 and now own and manage more than 23.6 million sq ft of property around the UK, valued at £14.4bn.

    • How long has Land Securities been operating?

      Land Securities was established in 1944. Founder Harold Samuel purchased Land Securities Investment Trust Ltd which, at the time, owned three houses in Kensington together with some Government stock. Read more about the history of Land Securities.|

    • Who is on the Land Securities Board?

      Robert Noel was appointed Managing Director, London Portfolio in January 2010 and Group Chief Executive in April 2012. Alison Carnwath was appointed Non-executive Chairman in November 2008. A full listing of Land Securities Board members and Senior Management can be found on the About Us / Our Management section of this website or the Board of Directors| page

    • Where is Land Securities located?

      Our head office is at 100 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5JL.  We also have regional offices throughout the UK.  For a full contact list of all our offices please go to the Contact Us page| of this website.

    • What are the most famous properties that Land Securities owns?

      We own a number of prestigious office and retail locations across the county including: Piccadilly Lights, W1; 20 Fenchurch Street, EC3; Trinity Leeds; Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth; and Bluewater, Kent.

    • What sort of property does Land Securities invest in?

      Across our London and Retail portfolios we invest in office, residential, retail and leisure space throughout the UK.

    • How long does Land Securities hold properties before they are sold?

      We continually review our portfolio and will sell a property when it no longer fulfils our investment criteria. With a portfolio of our size it is difficult to give an average length of ownership.

    • Which towns and cities are Land Securities active in?

      Land Securities is active in many of the major cities in the UK but around half our portfolio is located in London.

    • What holdings does the company have overseas and are there plans to expand further or at all?

      We operate only in the UK. At present we have no plans to expand overseas but this situation is kept continually under review. We believe that to expand overseas we have to be able to create competitive advantage.

    • How does Land Securities select its partners?

      Land Securities seeks to optimise value for its shareholders by seeking, where appropriate, partners who may be able to further enhance and provide value to any particular project based upon skills that may not necessarily be Land Securities' core competency.

    • Should I invest in Land Securities?

      We are not authorised under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 to provide advice to investors. For investment advice, please contact a stockbroker or independent financial adviser regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

    • Who are Land Securities' peers?

      As a quoted company, other major quoted property companies.

    • How does Land Securities interact with local communities?

      The scale and breadth of Land Securities activities means that it is involved in a wide range of community initiatives in the UK. Many of the Group's properties have an environmental and social impact which extends beyond the physical and financial investment made in them.

    • What is Land Securities environmental policy?

      Land Securities takes a considered and structured approach to managing its environmental impacts, through its environmental management system (EMS). It believes that genuine progress can be made through a targeted programme of incremental improvements.

    • What are REITs?

      Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) are quoted property companies that own and manage income-producing property, either commercial or residential.

    • When did Land Securities convert to a REIT?

      Land Securities converted to REIT status on 1 January 2007. We were one of the first listed British property companies to secure REIT status.

    • How do I become a Land Securities supplier?

      Your initial contact should be made via an email to and someone will then make contact with you.

  • Financial

    • What is the current value of the portfolio?

      The portfolio is valued at £14bn, including our share of joint ventures (as at 31 March 2015).

    • When does Land Securities report its financial results to the market?

      We usually report our financial results on a full year basis in May and on a half year basis in November. A full property valuation of our portfolio is undertaken every six months and this is reported as part of these results. The Company also issues an Interim Management Statement to the market, usually in January and July.

    • When is Land Securities' financial year-end?

      Our financial year runs from 1 April to 31 March, with our preliminary (year-end) results usually announced to the market in May. Our half-year results, for the six month period to 30 September, are usually announced to the market in November.


  • Changing your personal details

    • What do I do if I move house?

      You should notify our Registrar, Equiniti|, in writing of changes, which you can do by completing a change of address form. If you hold shares in joint names, the request to change the address must be signed by the first-named shareholder. You can determine who this is from your share certificate or tax voucher or by looking up your shareholding on the Shareview| service provided by Equiniti.

    • What do I do if I change my name or get married?

      To ensure the details of your shareholding are correct on the register you should notify Equiniti| in writing of any change to your name. You should also include a copy of your marriage certificate or change of name deed as evidence of your name change. If you need uncashed dividend cheques to be reissued in your new name, please also include them in your envelope.

  • Transferring shares to someone else

    • How do I transfer my Land Securities shares?

      You may at some point wish to transfer some or all of your shares to someone else (for example your partner or other member of your family). To do this, you will need to complete a Share Transfer Form which is available from Equiniti|.

      Note: Where the transfer is for a cash consideration you will need to seek advice about the payment of stamp duty. Contact your local Inland Revenue office. For details of your local office, call +44 (0) 1604 541100.

    • I want to hold Land Securities shares for my children. How do I do this?

      You can buy shares in your children's names but there may be legal complications when you come to sell the shares. Alternatively, you can hold the shares on their behalf in your own name. Equiniti| can give you more information.

  • Lost or stolen share certificate

    • My Land Securities share certificate has been lost/stolen. What should I do?

      If you lose your share certificate, or it has been stolen, you should inform Equiniti| immediately. You can do this by calling their helpline on +44 (0) 871 384 2128*. A record of the lost share certificate will be made to prevent it being used and a Letter of Indemnity will be sent to you to sign. This is to protect Land Securities from the possible misuse of your certificate while it is not in your possession. A replacement share certificate will then be sent to you. There is a charge for this service, so we advise you to keep your share certificate in a safe and secure place.

      * Calls to these 0871 telephone numbers are charged at 8p per minute plus network extras. Lines are open 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday (excluding UK public holidays).


  • Dividends

    • I haven't received my last dividend cheque. Who do I contact?

      Please contact Equiniti|, who will be able to investigate for you the reason for non-receipt.

    • Can I have my Land Securities dividends paid directly into my bank or building society account?

      Yes, you may be able to arrange this over the phone or online withEquiniti|. Please click here| for more details.

    • Will I still get notification of dividend payments if they are paid direct into my bank account?

      You will not receive any notification of your dividend payments from Land Securities, but you will notice them having been paid into your bank account. (Check on dividend payment dates|.) Instead, you will receive a consolidated tax voucher in January each year in time for you to complete your annual tax return.

    • I have found an out-of-date dividend cheque. What can I do?

      Land Securities dividend cheques may be cashed within one year of issue. After this time they need to be reissued. You can do this by returning the cheque to Equiniti|. There may be a fee for replacing the cheque. To avoid this problem, you should consider having your dividend paid directly into your bank or building society account it’s quicker and safer.

    • When is the next Land Securities dividend paid?

      Land Securities normally pays dividends quarterly in a year, usually in January, April, July and October. Details are normally included in the financial results announcements and management statement announcements made in January, May, July and November. Please check the Financial Calendar| for payment information.

  • Death of a shareholder

    • My partner or relative has passed away. What should I do about their shareholding?

      Please contact Equiniti| at the earliest opportunity, they will assist you with the documentation required and make the process as straightforward as possible for you. 

  • Shareholder communications

    • I am receiving two sets of Land Securities communications. How can I stop this?

      This may mean that you have shares registered in two accounts with slightly different personal registration details. Sometimes, if shares are purchased at different times, the details given to Equiniti might differ slightly on each occasion (eg Mr Paul A. Smith or Mr Paul Smith). This can result in our Registrar opening two separate shareholder accounts and this will lead to the duplication of shareholder communications and a separate dividend cheque being issued in respect of each account. If your shareholding is duplicated in this way, please contact Equiniti| to arrange amalgamation of your accounts.

    • Are shareholder communications available electronically or in alternative formats?

      Yes, we are encouraging shareholders to receive their shareholder communications electronically by email or via our website. Not only is this a quick and secure way for you to receive information, it also allows us to communicate in a more environmentally friendly and cost effective way as it reduces paper, printing materials and postage costs. To register for electronic communications, visit Shareview| and register your email address.

      If you would like to receive shareholder communications in alternative formats (large print, braille or audio tape), please register your name and address, shareholder account number and preferred format with Equiniti|.


  • Share dealing

    • How can I buy or sell Land Securities shares?

      Some high street banks provide facilities for buying and selling shares, or you can contact a stockbroker. Alternatively, Equiniti| provide all shareholders with competitive share dealing facility in Land Securities shares full details are set out on theRegistrar’s| page.

  • Unclaimed Assets Register

    • Does Land Securities have an Unclaimed Assets Register?

      The Company participates in the Unclaimed Assets Register, which provides a search facility for financial assets which may have been forgotten. For further information, contact:

      The Unclaimed Assets Register,
      PO Box 9501
      NG80 1WD

      +44 (0) 870 241 1713

      +44 (0) 115 976 8785

  • Capital Gains Tax

    • What base cost should I be using for the purpose of the capital gains tax indexation allowance?

      For the purpose of capital gains tax, the price of the Company's Ordinary share at 31 March 1982, adjusted for the capitalisation issue in November 1983 and the Scheme of Arrangement in September 2002, was 203p.

      The appropriate value to be used as a base cost in respect of an Ordinary share, assuming you took up in full the 5 for 8 Rights Issue in February 2009, is 229p.


This page took 1.0000 seconds to generate and - Total loading time was